Another airplane exhibited in the deutsches Museum for this post: the recognition aircraft Rumpler C IV, in use between 1916 and 1917. Here’s what can be read on the website page dedicated to it:
It entered mass production in 1917 and in the reconnaissance role could operate at heights up to 7,000 m for four hours. A camera lens hole is cut in the fuselage under the observer’s position.
After the war some Rumpler C machines were converted and used for passenger flights.
Only two of the 2,000 Rumpler aircraft originally built now survive. The Rumpler C IV on display here was manufactured by the Bayerische-Rumpler-Werke AG (Baru) in Augsburg, which delivered its first C IV in July 1917. This aircraft was restored in 1977 by Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm. It is fitted with a Daimler III engine.