This amazing portrait was realized just after the Armistice. This soldier, who won the French Croix de Guerre and has an overseas chevron on his jacket, holds a P17 rifle with a M1917 bayonet. His collar disks indicate he was a member of the B Company, 349th Infantry Regiment, which was part of the 88th Division. The symbol of this division can be seen on the shoulder of the jacket and on the overcoat: a blue quatrefoil, formed by two Arabic numeral “8s”. This division was activated on 5 August 1917 at Camp Dodge (Iowa) and was sent officially overseas on 7 September 1918. It didn’t participate to the last fights of WW1 as as a division, even if the number of casualties was 78 (KIA-12; WIA-66).